It is likely the Benefits Administrator will be advised in the event of your death by the Executor or Beneficiary of your estate.
For more information, please contact your Benefits Administrator.
In the event of your death the following actions will be taken by the Benefits Administrator, provided they are aware of your death:
- The Benefits Administrator will send a letter to the Beneficiary with a Plan Sponsor’s Statement of the Claim Form competed.
- The Beneficiary will complete Part 2 of the Group Claim Report and send this back to the Benefits Administrator with one of the following:
- Completed PBC Life Claim Form which will be provided by the School District Benefits Administrator.
- Proof of Death – Government Issued Certificate of Death OR completed Attending Physician’s Statement. Please note that the document submitted must be the original. Originals will be sent back upon request. Attending Physician’s Statement.
- Once the Benefits Administrator has received the necessary documents back from the Beneficiary these are sent, with a copy of the employee’s original Enrolment Form and any beneficiary changes to:Pacific Blue Cross
Life & Disability Claims
PO Box 7000
- The cheque will be sent to the School District Benefits Administrator unless otherwise requested.The Benefits Administrator will also provide the original enrollment card and any subsequent beneficiary change forms to the insurer.If the location of the Beneficiary is not known immediately, the Benefits Administrator will likely receive notice from the Executor of your estate.
- Notification of the Survivor Benefits, if applicable; andThe Beneficiary will also be provided with:
- Notification of Conversion Privilege, if Surviving Spouse has Optional Spouse Life insurance.
When an Employee dies, all or part of Spouse Optional Life insurance (if applicable) may be converted to an individual policy without medical evidence of insurability provided an application is made with 31 days of the Employee’s date of death.
Spouse Optional Life Conversion Privilege
To convert the Spouse Optional Life insurance, the following steps must be taken:
- Benefits Administrator will advise Surviving Spouse of right to convert insurance following the Employee’s death, and will provide the contact information for Pacific Blue Cross.
- Surviving Spouse is responsible to contact Pacific Blue Cross if they are interested in applying for the Conversion Privilege for Spouse Optional Life insurance. Click here for contact information for conversion with Pacific Blue Cross.
- The conversion can be done without medical evidence of good health provided the request is made within 31 days of the date of the Employee’s death.
- Some limits apply (ie. amount cannot exceed $200,000).
- Premiums will likely be higher than the premium under the BCPSEA Benefits Program.
Benefits may continue for the Surviving Spouse and Eligible Surviving Dependents for a period following your death. See “My Plan” for further information on the policy for your District.
If your Surviving Spouse and Eligible Surviving Dependents are eligible to receive this benefit the following steps will be taken:
- Benefits Administrator sends Letter to Surviving Spouse advising how long coverage will continue.
- Benefits Administrator sends a Letter to Surviving Spouse advising of the date of termination of coverage and conversion options available.
Death of the Surviving Spouse
In the event of the death of your Surviving Spouse the following steps will be taken:
- Benefits Administrator sends a Letter to (any) Surviving Dependent Children advising how long coverage will continue.
- Benefits Administrator sends a Letter to Surviving Dependent Child(ren) advising of the date of termination of coverage.